Friday, June 30, 2006

Kelowna



Went to Kelowna last weekend which was absolutely bootiful! It's on Lake Okanagan. Soo pretty. Perfect weather the whole weekend as well. It's a 7 hr bus ride (4 hr car ride) from Vancouver. Still in the province of British Columbia. Went with my friend Hailey as she is from there. We stayed with her Mum. I'm glad we took the bus as I got to see the beautiful Canadian wilderness. The beautiful pine? trees, waterfalls and the mountains. Even saw a deer as well that was running around Hailey's Mum's neighbourhood. How funny, a deer in the suburbs! Would never find that in Australia. Maybe a snake or spider in the suburbs!!!! No bears though :( Well, I actually called it the Canadian countryside and Hailey cracked up laughing. She said "We don't call it the countryside here, we're not in Hicksville Alabama!" SORRY, we call anything that is outside of a capital city in Australia the COUNTRYSIDE! I kept Hailey laughing all day asking stupid touristy questions! I also asked her "Are there native Indian tribes living in the mountains?" She nearly fell off her chair on the bus laughing. No, obviously there's not. Well, I didn't know that. I am a tourist. In Australia, there are native tribes still living on the land!

On the Friday night, we went to a party for her Dad's 70th B'day. It was a surprise. He didn't know we were coming even though Hailey was sure she mentioned it to her Dad about ten times previously! That was fun. Had a few wines and some nice finger food. Her Dad is great. He's lots of fun and his friends were lovely.

Saturday, we went out for lunch at El Derado's on the Marina. It was a beautiful day. About 28C with a perfect blue sky. We had lunch with one of Hailey's friends. Lunch was nice. I had the best god damn Margarita I've ever had. Kelowna now has a special place in my heart. Here's a catchy tourist campaign slogan for them - KELOWNA - best god damn Margaritas on earth! Even Hailey said it was the best she's had and she doesn't usually like them. They were YUMMYYYY! Then we visited some more of Hailey's friends and went and had BBQ for dinner. That was fun. I was drinking this new mixer drink all night. It was delicious. It's called Pomtini. It's pomegranite (sorry can't spell) juice mixed with vodka. They're soo easy to drink. Too bad we don't have them in Oz. Hmmm, sounds like I was basically drunk the whole weekend but I swear I wasn't! Only two days out of three! He he!

Sunday, we had breakfast with Hailey's Mum and stepdad, went and watched some of her cousin's soccer match and then it was a sprint to make the 2.30pm bus on time! We got there at the last call. Woah, that was close. Nearly missed it! When we got on, there weren't any seats together but this very sweet lady who was sitting by herself offered to move somewhere else for us! Awww, how sweet. Thought she deserved a mention. It was really nice to get out of Vancouver and be in a really chilled, relaxed atmosphere. Kelowna is very cruisy and friendly. It's a retirement town. Would prefer to live there than in Vancouver but of course there's more to do in Van and more jobs as well.

So that was my weekend in a nutshell! Going to Whistler tom (Sat) for the day with Hailey and Clare. Can't wait as I haven't been there yet. Then Saturday night is Canada Day (OH CANADA)! Might have to have a few bevvies to celebrate!!! It's been a good end to my overseas trip. Glad, I finally got to see more of Canada. I can't believe I leave here in two days! It's surreal. I will miss Vancouver greatly. It will be very strange to be back in Oz!

Over and outy! I'll post some pics of Kelowna once Hailey e-mail's them to me. Hint, Hint, nudge, nudge H!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home